Access to Justice Week in Review
November 1, 2016 | By TAG_Admin |
Thank you to Access to Justice Week partners, participants and supporters. Your contributions made this important week a success. We were delighted with how our week resulted in engagement with the public as well as representatives from technology, business, social sectors in addition to our justice system partners.
Highlights from the week include:
- Receiving letters of support from the Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin and Federal Justice Minister Jody Wilson Raybould
- Keynote remarks at the Technology, Inclusion and Access to Justice event from Ontario’s Attorney General the Hon. Yasir Naqvi
- Keynote remarks at the Connect, Create, Communicate event from
Indigenous child welfare advocate Cindy Blackstock
- Having the Attorney General make a Ministerial Statement commending Access to Justice Week in the House. The official opposition and third party critic replied underscoring the importance of the week’s events.
- Receiving media coverage from 25 different media outlets including the Toronto Star and CBC Radio’s Metro Morning which resulted in five million impressions.
- Aligning with Saskatchewan’s Access to Justice Week which included the complete adoption of our Architects of Justice program where students survey the public about access to justice concerns
- Having our Connect, Create, Communicate: Public Legal Education and the Access to Justice Movement hashtag (#PLEA2J) trend on Twitter
Updates, follow-up materials and details about CPD credit for each event are now available at the links below:
- Technology, Inclusion and Access to Justice: Broadening the Conversation
- Connect, Create, Communicate: Public Legal Education and the Access to Justice Movement
- Re-imagining Child Welfare Systems in Canada: A Symposium
- Architects of Justice: Stories From the Justice System
- Redesigning Justice: How Would You Do It?
- Free Law Clinic
- TwitterChat: Can Legal Regulation Improve Access to Justice?
Access to Justice Week at Ontario’s Legislative Assembly
Statement by Minister Naqvi
Statement by MPP Hillier
Statement by MPP Singh
Minister Naqvi Answers Access to Justice Week Question